Our History

The Glenelg Catholic School and Parish have served our community for 150 years.

he Glenelg Catholic School and Parish have served our community for 150 years.

In 1869 - 33 years after Governor Hindmarsh announced at Glenelg the establishment of government - the foundation stone of a Catholic Church was laid at Glenelg:

"On Sunday, 14th March, the foundation stone of a Catholic Church dedicated to Our Lady of Victories was laid at Glenelg by the Right Rev L S B Sheil, Bishop of Adelaide, who said that the building when finished will serve the double purpose of temporary church and schoolroom, which, when the congregation is sufficiently large, will be attached as a school to the new Church, which is estimated to cost 1,200 pounds. On 6th June, 1869 the pretty little chapel school was opened by the Bishop. The building is an exceedingly pretty one, of red brick and limestone. It is intended to open a school there at once, under the Sisters of Saint Joseph."

That school was us.

The Sisters of St Joseph

The Sisters of St Joseph continued to teach at Glenelg until December 1902.

Mary MacKillop is sure to have visited the school at some stage in its early years.

St Mary's records for the year 1900 show some 70 pupils enrolled, with a staff consisting of four Josephite Nuns. At this time, the primary school was conducted in what is today's Church Hall (St Mary's Hall) and the select school, a form of secondary school, in the Community room.